UNISON - Skills Builder
Skills Builder is an online learning platform designed to help learners feel more comfortable using words and numbers.
UNISON is the UK’s largest union
It serves more than 1.3 million members and represents full-time and part-time staff who provide public services in both the public and private sectors. As part of UNISON’s commitment to working with its members and activists to support learning initiatives, and to developing union learning reps to encourage and support learners, it identified the need for literacy and numeracy skills development.
Maths and English are a fundamental part of our daily lives
However, many of us aren’t as confident as we would like to be when it comes to our literacy and numeracy skills. UNISON had a clear goal, to help its members, and the general public, develop essential skills through bite-sized online learning. UNISON commissioned dreamm, with our extensive track record of creating engaging content in a modern, friendly style, to lead the design and development of a new suite of free digital learning tools.
Helping users feel more confident using words and numbers
Working closely with the UNISON learning team, dreamm produced Skills Builder, an online learning platform designed to help learners feel more comfortable using words and numbers. To achieve this, the project was split into three distinct phases:
- Content strategy and creative design
- We collaborated with UNISON to form the content strategy and overall creative approach for the project.
- e-Learning development (courses and animations)
- Selecting an agile approach to development allowed for the rapid delivery of digital learning assets (e-learning modules, animations, etc) to meet the overall content strategy.
- Skills Builder site build and implementation
- Development of the Skills Builder site ran in tandem with input from UNISON’s IT team to ensure that the technical needs and any custom integrations were identified early, and delivered on time.
Bringing content to life with practical examples
Skills Builder uses practical examples to bring literacy and numeracy training to life. For example, we use mathematics when doing our shopping; or finding the right dosage of medicine; or even to calculate the dimensions and ingredients of a cake. There’s also a refresher on basic maths, with clear explanations and examples on fractions, percentages, divisions, and multiplications. Skills Builder also includes top tips on spelling, speed reading techniques, and suggestions on how to get the most from reading and writing. Here’s a example: https://youtu.be/tuJrLxqYf7o
Launched in May 2021 Skills Builder has received positive feedback from the internal UNISON team and wider membership alike
Try Skills Builder for yourself
Almost two decades experience delivering cutting edge e-learning
Did you know?
dreamm has been providing digital learning solutions for nearly 20 years! The company was founded in 2004 and has since worked with a wide range of clients worldwide.